On Monday, the President released his FY2019 Budget Proposal, which once again calls for the elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and many other important agencies and initiatives.
This is a critical moment. While FY2018 funding is being finalized, and FY2019 funding is being introduced, we need your help, once again to #SaveTheNEA.
Here are three things you can do TODAY to fight to save these important programs.
1. Call or email the members of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior and thank them for their previous support of the arts and humanities, specifically:
- Lisa Murkowski, Chair (R-AK) – (202) 224-6665
- Thad Cochran (R-MS) – (202) 224 -5054
- Lamar Alexander (R-TN) – (202) 224-4944
- Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) – (202) 224-6472
- Tom Udall, Ranking Member (D-NM) – (202) 224-6621
- Here are some sample scripts and information on what to expect when you make these calls.
2. Find your state’s Creative Industry Report (courtesy of Americans for the Arts) and send it to your representative, reminding them of the power of the arts in their district. (Find your legislator here.) If you don’t already have an account with Americans for the Arts, it takes only moments to create and will grant you access to invaluable resources like this one!
Thank you for everything you are doing!