LitNet is a coalition of literary organizations from across the United States that works to promote the importance of the literary arts in American culture, build the capacity of the literary field, and broaden funding for the literary arts.
- Promote literature as a field to readers, potential readers, funders, and potential funders of the literary arts.
- Facilitate communications among a diverse national membership and of literary organizations on issues and topics that affect the field as a whole.
- Work to broaden the support from private foundations, corporations, and individuals, and advocate for and protect government funding for literature at the federal, state, and local level, including the monitoring of National Endowment for the Arts programs and allocations.
- Gather and disseminate data on the field with the object of increasing funding of literature in the broadest sense and raising general awareness of the accomplishments of the field and its constituents.
- Increase literary organizations’ internal capacity and help to develop the next generation of literary leaders.
LitNet is governed by a steering committee comprised of elected volunteers. In June 2017, LitNet’s steering committee adopted an organizational structure that is available for all to view.
Learn more and view the document: LitNet Organizational Structure 2017-06.
Chair: Britt Udesen | Executive Director, Loft Literary Center
Vice Chair: Jen Benka | Executive Director, Academy of American Poets
Secretary: Joe Callahan | Executive Director Emeritus, 826DC
Treasurer: Elliot Figman | Executive Director, Poets & Writers
William Johnson | Program Director, Lambda Literary
Jeffrey Lependorf | Executive Director, CLMP & SPD
Lisa Lucas | Executive Director, National Book Foundation
Paul Morris | Vice President of Programs & Outreach, Authors Guild
Debora Ott | Founding Director, LitTAP
Andrew Proctor | Executive Director, Literary Arts
Robin Reagler | Executive Director, Writers in the Schools (WITS)
Carey Salerno | Executive Editor, Alice James Books
Abby Travis | Editor, Milkweed Editions
Tony Valenzuela | Executive Director, Lambda Literary
The steering committee meets once per month.